In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that this was not my favorite project of all time. I started it way back in…well, I can’t remember, but I’m pretty sure it was early spring. And it’s not that it was super complicated, but I had no clue how to make the door and windows so I just let it sit on my craft table and pile guilt on me every time I walked by.
So as you can imagine, I’m breathing a huge sigh of relief to have it officially marked off my to-finish list. (Even though technically I still want/need to add a doorknob and attach the curtains that I made and then forgot to attach.)
The best thing about this doorway playhouse (besides the fact that it’s finished) is that it’s easy to put up and take down. Nothing permanent about it and it doesn’t take up space when it’s not being used. I love that. It’s also pretty cool that it can have several different looks, depending on where you place the top tension rod.
See? (Sorry the photo quality is so poor, there’s only one doorway that this works in and the lighting was terrible.)
My inspiration came from this blog and hers is way adorable, but I’m not too handy at applique so I called it good after managing a door and the windows. 😉
Sadly, although I took photos of the entire process, I seem to have misplaced all of the early ones (not surprising, considering HOW LONG AGO I took them).
2 yards duck fabric
3 tension rods ($2 each at Wal-Mart!)
Bias tape (about 6-7 yards)
I used a little less than 2 yards of duck fabric and cut the width to fit our hallway. (Just out of curiosity, is there a difference between canvas and duck fabric? Or are they the same thing?)
I then sewed 2″ channels on the top, bottom, and about 1/3 of the way down the fabric. The top and bottom are just folded over to the inside of the fabric and sewn, so there’s no need to hem. The center channel was cut from excess fabric and sewed to the inside. Just be sure that your tension rods will slide through the channels, then sew straight lines, leaving the ends open.
The roof was bias tape that I hot glued to look like shingles. There’s no way in a billion years I could have sewed them on without throwing my sewing machine through a window, so hot glue was a lifesaver for me on this one.
The windows I cut from felt and sewed interfacing on, but let me just say that felt probably wasn’t the wisest choice. I think I put three layers of interfacing on and I still doubt they last that long. This was done totally be trial and error (obviously) and if I ever attempt something like this again I’m going to have to research a better way than just cutting and hoping for the best. 😉
The door was by far the hardest part for me, but I ended up just cutting it out and adding a felt (much heavier than the windows) door frame. I sewed bias tape around the door and it closes with velcro. I forgot the doorknob, but maybe the welcome bunting on the door will make them forget…
My girls were THRILLED with this little playhouse so I think it would make a fantastic gift. Just don’t ask me to make it. 🙂
Parties I link to: Craft-O-Maniac, Sew Can Do, C.R.A.F.T., Skip to My Lou, Chef In Training, A Bowl Full of Lemons,Sugar Bee Crafts, Funky Polkadot Giraffe, Todays Creative Blog, Mandy’s Recipe Box, My Girlish Whims, Handy Man, Crafty Woman, Sew Much Ado, Ginger Snap Crafts, Southern Lovely, House of Hepworths, The Crafty Blog Stalker, A Glimpse Inside, Tidy Mom, Thirty Handmade Days, Tatertots and Jello, Flamingo Toes, Six Sisters Stuff, Naptime Creations, I Heart Naptime