A few months ago I received a review copy of the book In This House We Will Giggle by Courney Defeo from Blogging for Books. I was excited because I’d heard good things about it, and I’m always on the lookout for good parenting books. The book focuses on encouraging love and laughter in our homes and children’s lives by letting go of some of the rigidity and rules that are often imposed by parents.
I really wanted to like this book. Parts of it I really did like, but a lot of it seemed to be recycled material from every other faith-based parenting book out there. I also didn’t really see how the chapters all tied into the idea of encouraging the lighthearted home atmosphere that was the primary focus of the book.
- I really, REALLY enjoyed the introduction. It made me have pretty high hopes for the book.
- The 12 chapters each focus on a virtue to encourage in your child’s life and were full of good thoughts and advice.
- I loved the practical applications listed at the end of each chapter. The activities look fun and worthwhile and I’m sure I’ll end up using some of them.
- Scattered throughout the book are 60 fun little things to do with your kids to encourage giggles. I really loved this element.
- If this book had just been about encouraging virtues in your child it would have been excellent, but again, I didn’t really see how the theme of the book tied into the chapters very well.
- I felt like the author used laughter as a diversion tactic sometimes instead of correcting bad behavior.
- After that awesome introduction the rest of the book was a bit of a letdown.
This book didn’t end up being what I expected, but I do plan to keep it and incorporate some of the ideas into our family. I love the idea of focusing on a virtue every month and having practical ways to encourage that. I also really like some of the activities listed throughout the book and know that being playful with my kids is not one of my strong points, so I’ll be working on that, too. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a fun, practical book that teaches children about Biblical virtues.
**I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for an honest review. As always, my opinions are my own.**