I’ve had the Bible I use right now for close to 15 years. I love it, but it’s falling apart and I think I’m going to have to switch soon. It always makes me sad when that happens; I feel like I’m losing an old friend and it’s hard to get used to a new one.
I was flipping through my Bible and realized that I have an interesting assortment of things sandwiched between pages. Some have been there for a really long time, some I never intended to store there but they got lost in the pages and never found their way out.
Here are ten of the things I found in my decrepit Bible:
- #1 – A message in Arabic from Noah. I have no idea what it says. You’d think I’d have thought to write down the translation, but nope. Oh well, it’s kind of cool, and I doubt I’ll ever have another Arabic note given to me. (Which reminds me that I also had a Braille letter given to me and I THREW IT AWAY. Ah, the stupidity of youth!)
- #2 – A diagram of the End Times events that Pastor Humphrey gave out a kabillion years ago. I have no idea why it’s survived all this time.
- #3 – The lyrics to The Star Spangled Banner, also dating back to Plack Road Baptist days. Again, no idea why it’s still hanging out in my Bible.
- #4 and #5 – Drawings from Madeline and Susannah, respectively. I adore kids drawings. Pretty sure I’ve said that before. 😉
- #6 – Bookmark from Danielle. I wish I knew how to make stuff like that.
- #7 – A letter Calder gave me right before I left Alaska. I also love little kids handwriting.
- #8 – A photo from Laura-Lou. Miss that girl.
- #9 – The day Jerm and I met we exchanged email addresses. I totally never expected to write to him so I stuck the paper he gave me in my Bible and forgot about it. Good thing he wrote me first!
- #10 – A sticker from Davy. You know a kid loves you if they give you their Sunday School sticker. I miss my little buddy (although he’s not so little anymore).
- #11 – A flower my grandpa gave me from his garden on one of my visits. He handed it to me on the way to church one day and I stuck it in my Bible so I wouldn’t lose it. I kind of like having something in there to remind me of him.
So, do you store stuff in your Bible or keep it pristine? Mine is a little messy, but very well-loved. Just the way I like it.