Day 13: Quiche
Up until a few month ago when my sister-in-law mentioned making it, I had no idea what quiche even was. I blame my mom. (Sorry, mom.)
So, I decided to make one, because after they were explained to me, they sounded interesting. I modified this recipe and even though I’m not a pie crust fan, this bad boy was pretty stinking delicious.
- 1 – 9 inch frozen pie shell
- 1/2 lb sausage (I used Jimmy Dean maple flavor)
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fat free half and half
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- Salt and pepper
- Bake shell @ 425 for about 7 minutes.
- While shell is baking, cook sausage in a skillet. Dice red pepper and add to sausage.
- Mix sausage and cheese together; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the mixture in the bottom of the pie shell.
- Whisk together eggs, half and half and milk together and pour mixture over sausage. Bake on baking sheet for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
The girls hated it; no surprise there. My children are the pickiest eaters known to man, but I think if I had left out the bell pepper Mad would have eaten it. There’s pretty much no hope for Susannah.
Do you like quiche? When’s the last time you learned about a dish you’d never heard of before? Please tell me I’m not the only one.
New to my 31 Day Blogging Challenge? You can catch up on all the posts here.